I volunteered at Railsbridge yesterday & when the other teachers didn't seem busy enough I went ahead & asked them questions of my own. I learned about the save_and_open_page method in Rspec.
This gave me the power to go fix a bunch of feature tests that I previously couldn't figure out how to fix, usually the features were working but the tests were failing falsely.
Switch from Selenium to Poltergeist
Lastly, since phantomjs will be running in a different thread, unexpected things could happen in the test database. Here is a post by Avdi that explains how & why to fix it.
Before I could finish the last step I noticed that something else was wrong with the spec, I forgot to let it click a link. So now my tests are fixed and this process is not done, but hopefully writing it down for when I do need it will make it less painful at that time.