The pc recording the IP cameras in our classroom used to run Windows 7, but dealing with a headless Windows 7 box is about as fun as it sounds, so I am switching to Ubuntu Server.

Zoneminder was using a lot more CPU than Blue Iris used to, so I was trying to figure out ways to reduce the cpu load, I figured out that I needed to use libjpeg-turbo, here is what I did to get it working.

wget ''

dpkg -i libjpeg-turbo-official_1.4.1_amd64.deb

To find out what jpeg library you are borrowing

sudo lsof |grep

At this point I'm assuming it's installed, from now on I'm trying to get zoneminder to use libjpeg-turbo

echo "/opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64" > /etc/ && echo "/usr/local/lib" > /etc/ && echo "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" >> /etc/bash.bashrc && echo "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH" >> /etc/bash.bashrc

put the following line in 2 different files

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH



So...... I think it might be working, but the command I used to check if it's working didn't show any different output, so I only noticed that it might be working when I saw my cpu load cut in half. I'm not sure at what point in all of this it started working & I'm not interested enough in this problem to test it by reverting my changes or digging deeper in any other way.